Why is Affordable Housing Important?
Affordable housing is important to Zerin because it helps reduce homelessness and alleviate poverty. Housing is a basic need of all people and collectively we should do everything possible to provide housing available to all. Safe, stable, adequate and affordable housing changes lives! Within an affordable housing initiative, natural communities of people are established people from diverse cultures, socio-economic backgrounds, beliefs and income levels all living together, all seeking peace and mutual respect. In a sense, affordable housing is a microcosm of what we hope can happen in the larger community... learning from, understanding and valuing each other not only for who we are but for what we can contribute.
Current Housing Trends
- Real need for affordable housing
- People are requiring affordable housing at younger ages
- More people are requiring accessible housing
- More people are losing pensions/benefits or do not receive them
- Home is a healing place and affordable, stable housing is an indicator of health
- People are retiring later
- We are an increasingly aging population
- People are living longer
- There is a real need for charities to re-engage in affordable housing
- There are opportunities to leverage existing buildings (increased housing)
- There are opportunities for more creative housing initiatives between low and high density